Grand Prairie Independent School District
The Grand Prairie Independent School District currently serves more than 26,000 students within the Dallas County boundary of Grand Prairie. There are 39 campuses which consists of 23 elementary schools, eight middle schools, one ninth grade center, three high schools, two alternative schools, one collegiate institute and one arts academy. This is a long way from their humble beginnings in 1902. By 1904 ten formal grades had been formed. The next year the first school bonds were issued totaling $8,000. The money built a two-story building at 214 West College Street to create Grand Prairie High School. In 1911, the first graduating class with only four students completes the high school program. The high school moved to its current location in 1951.